Events & Conferences
Event dates: 13.03.17 to 06.07.17 | Location: Istanbul, Midyat, Munich
Political trials against lawyers and political activists from Turkey
ELDH will try to send observers to the following trials
- 30 March 2017, Istanbul: Continuation of the trial against the first four "Academics for Peace" out of over 2000. In January 2016, 2,218 scholars from Turkey signed a petition titled “We will not be a party to this crime,” also known as the Peace Petition. Since then the signatories (“Academics for Peace”) have been subject to heavy pressure and persecution. Hundreds of them have faced criminal and disciplinary investigations, custody, imprisonment, or violent threats. Several academics have been dismissed or suspended, some were forced to resign or leave the country.
- 6 April 2017, Istanbul: Opening of the trial against the suspects of the killing of Berkin Elvan, a 14 years old boy who was hit by a piper gas canister shot by the police during the Uprising in June 2013 (Gezi Park Protests). He died on 11 March 2014.
- 20 April 2017, Istanbul: Continuation of the trial against lawyers and human rights defenders Mr. Ramazan Demir, Mr. Hüseyin Boğatekin, Ms. Ayşe Acinikli, İrfan Arasan, ŞefikÇelik, Adem Çalışçı, Ayşe Gösterişlioğlu Başar, Tamer Doğan, Mustafa Rüzgar, Sinan Zincir, Raziye Turgut and Ruhşen Mahmutoğlu as members of the human rights association for prisoners TUHAD-FED. They all are members of the Istanbul Bar, the Progressive Lawyers Association (ÇHD) and the Libertarian Lawyers Association (ÖHD).
- 21 April 2017, Gumushane: High Criminal Court: Second session of the trial against the lawyer Deniz Sürgüt who was arrested by İdil Criminal Court on Duty while in Şırnak to report the human rights violations, on 6th of August 2015. The lawyer Deniz Sürgüt, is a member of Libertarian Lawyers Association ÖHD (which has been banned together with 29 other lawyers organisations in the meantime) and also an active executive of Istanbul branch of Human Rights Association. He is still in pre-trial detention Report of the first hearing.
- 7 June 2017, Instanbul: Continuation of the trial against 22 lawyers who are all leading members of CHD.The Trial started on 24 December 2013
- 6 July 2017, 10h00, Istanbul: Continuation of the trial against 46 lawyers, who had among others alleged members of KCK as clients. The trial started on 16 July 2012.
The report on the last hearing
- Istanbul (date not yet fixed): Trial against Lawyer Barkın Timtik, board member of the banned lawyers organisation CHD. Together with many other defendants she is accused of being member of a terrorist organisation. She was arrested on 15 December 2016 and is in prison since then. There are reports that she was tortured during her detention period and also that she was phsyically attacked while she had been exiled from one prison to an another. She could not access to her lawyers for the first days of her detention. She is also accused in the CHD Lawyers trial.
- 13 March 2017, Criminal Section of the Rabat Tribunal, trial against 24 saharoui militants for the events which took place in Gdeim Izlik in September 2010. This trial was necessary because of a decision of the Moroccan Supreme Court of 27 July 2016, which nullified the previous decisions of the Military Tribunal of 23 February 2013 condemning the militants to heavy detention terms: nine received life sentences, 14 received terms between 20 and 30 years, and 2 were sentenced to the 2 years that they had already spent in pre-trial detention.
- Monday and Friday every week until June 2017, Munich, trial against alleged members of ATIK and TKP/ML.
Colleagues who wish to participate are requested to let us know in advance so that we can take the necessary organisational measures. Observers who need an interpreter should let us know early enough so that we can try to help them.